I Hope They Remember

When my children grow up,

I don't know what they'll remember.

Maybe they'll remember the family holidays.

Maybe they'll remember birthdays.

Maybe they'll remember the presents.

But I hope they remember the ordinary things too.

I hope they remember that I was there.

Waiting outside school.

Driving them to training.

Driving them to classes.

Sitting beside them while they struggled with homework or school.

Eating dinner together after a long day.

I hope they remember that home felt safe.

Not perfect.

Just safe.

I hope they remember the laughter more than the lectures.

The hugs and kisses more than the reminders.

The conversations more than the corrections.

I know I won't get everything right.

No parent does.

There will be days I lose my patience.

Days i say the harsh words.

Days I say the wrong thing.

Days I wish I could do better.

But if there is one thing I hope never leaves their hearts,

it's this:

They were loved.

Every single day.

Even on the ordinary ones.

Okay papa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Days, Okay Is the Best I Can Do

The Quiet Weight of Being Needed

Funny Things My Kids Say