Flying Without Them Felt Different
Flying without the kids felt different.
It wasn’t the first time I travelled.
But it was the first time in a long while
that I boarded a plane without them.
This time, it was just the two of us.
My wife had to attend a congress in Barcelona.
And I followed along as i felt thats the right thing as this is her first time flying to a country so far from Singapore.
At the airport, everything felt… lighter.
No rushing.
No reminding.
No “stay close” or “hold my hand.”
No "Are you ok"
No" Are you hungry"
No" Please drink water"
Just two adults walking through quietly.
We checked in without distraction.
Sat down without needing to check on anything.
It felt calm.
Too calm.
On the plane,
there were no small voices calling “Papa.”
No need to adjust seats,
no cartoons playing beside me,
no little hands reaching over.
For a moment, I enjoyed the calmness and serenity.
But not for long.
Because somewhere in between the silence,
I realised something.
I missed them.
I missed the noise.
The questions.
The small interruptions.
Even the tiring parts.
Travel felt easier.
But it also felt… quieter than it should be.
As much as I appreciate this time with my wife,
I know something is missing.
Because somewhere along the way,
travel stopped being about ease.
And became about who I’m sharing it with.
This trip will be different.
Slower.
Calmer.
But when I go home,
I know what I’ll be looking forward to most.
But travelling together again as a family
Okay papa.
Comments
Post a Comment