I Don’t Have Big Dreams. I Have Responsibilities

I used to think I needed a big dream.

Running my own business.
Being my own boss.
Maybe one day, something I could pass on to my kids.

I still think about it sometimes.

I have a good career now.
It gave me stability and brought me to where I am today.

But there are days when the politics, deadlines, and constant demands feel heavy.

Days when I wonder if this is all there is.

Most people don’t see what happens outside of work.

  • The daily routine.
  • Sending the kids to school.
  • Picking them up.
  • Enrichment classes.
  • Homework.
  • House chores.
  • Cooking.

All while working Monday to Friday.

And beyond the routine, there’s something heavier 
the responsibility of being a role model, a father, and a husband.

Making sure they grow up well.
That they learn kindness, discipline, and values.
Knowing that they are watching, even when I think they aren’t.
Also be there for my partner.

Stability became my choice the moment I got married.

Honestly, I’ve always preferred stable over exciting.

There are moments I ask myself —
if I were more daring, would my life be different?

My first job was a firefighter.
It was exciting. Meaningful. Fulfilling.
I stayed for almost seven years.

But when marriage and my first child came into the picture,
I stopped.

I chose a different path.
Healthcare facilities.

Twelve years later, I’m still here.
From engineer to senior manager.

Sometimes I look at my friends.
Business owners. Property agents.
They seem to have more freedom. More time.
Living differently.

I wonder..
if I chose that road, would I still be stuck in a 8-to-5 office job?

But then I look at my life.

The routine.
The responsibility.
The quiet stability.

And I realise something.

Maybe my dreams didn’t disappear.
They just changed shape.

Right now, my dream is responsibility.

  • Showing up.
  • Providing.
  • Being there.

It’s not exciting.
It won’t impress anyone.

But it’s mine.

Okay papa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Days, Okay Is the Best I Can Do

The Quiet Weight of Being Needed

Funny Things My Kids Say